Samba TV Trends & Insights: The 2018 Emmy Awards
Live TV tentpole events are the only remaining options for brands to reach a mass television audience and The Emmy Awards continue to draw high viewership despite a lack of age and ethnic diversity within its viewers.
- Nearly 6% of US households watched at least five cumulative minutes of the 2018 Emmy Awards broadcast.
- By comparison, 12.5% of US households tuned-in for the Academy Awards back in March.
- Emmys viewership started strong but steadily declined as the evening progressed.
- Viewership peaked within the first 30 minutes and aligned with the Best Supporting Comedy Actress award.
Viewership by Designated Market Area (DMA)
- Viewership was strongest in California, where Los Angeles, San Francisco and Sacramento took 3 of the top 4 slots
- The Florence Effect: Southern and mid-Atlantic DMAs had particularly low viewership, which is likely attributed to the effects of Hurricane Florence
- All age groups younger than 55 indexed lower than the US average
- Ethnic diversity was weak: African American (-25.2%) and Hispanic (-17.3%) viewers both indexed well below the US Average
Activate on Your DSP
Advertisers looking to reach Emmys and other tentpole awards show viewers can activate these Samba TV programmatic data segments in their DSP of choice:
- Samba TV > Genres > Awards Shows
- Samba TV > Premium > TV Tentpoles > Emmy Awards